Today I’m proud to present another guest post. Our guest today is Nick Piscitello. He is running a business that creates Explainer videos for software companies and will give his take on guidelines to create an explainer video. Take it away Nick 🙂
Scalability; one of the greatest advantages to running a software company, being able to create a platform that can grow exponentially with the only thing holding it back: exposure and marketing. Luckily online advertising has made it easy to get thousands of people to find your software and get to using. This is awesome, however it has also made all of your competition jump on the same bandwagon. This leaves dozens of options for consumers flying around out there and the core idea of your service going un-noticed due to the multitude of information.
This is where explainer videos come in. They give the viewer your basic elevator pitch in a fun, engaging, and effective medium that cuts through all of the noise that is the Internet. Explainer videos can help scale your business, increase conversions, and make you look extra professional.
My name is Nick and I have been running Completion Web Studios for over 4 years, in the rest of this blog I am going to detail some of the essentials to follow when creating an explainer video for your software company.
- Script Writing – The basic layout of your script should run as follows.
- Grab Attention – Best to use shock, humor or a question at the very beginning of your video
- Identify the problem – The most important step of the script (should consume 40%). This is how you connect with the viewer and where they really “buy – in” to your solution
- Present Service as a solution – List the benefits
- Provide some credibility – Awards, free trials, previous works, etc.
- Call To Action – Sign up
- Voiceover – You want to use someone with a bit of humor, professionalism and overall trustworthiness. Viewers see this voice as the voice of your organization.
- Animation – Your animation color scheme should match seamlessly with your branding guidelines, you want the video to look like it is an extension of your website. This will increase brand recognition of your company and overall just look really good
Adding screencast of your software can be a really effective way for viewers to get an insight as to what it would be like to actually use your software and see “This is a real thing” as oppose to just an idea in their head.
Overall you will need to do some customizing of your video for your company, but overall the process and the elements listed above are essential. Feel free to check out my corresponding podcast on the topic here (https://soundcloud.com/completion-web-studios/podcast-2-how-to-make-an-effective-explainer-video-for-your-software-company128k-mp3-192k)
Creative Services Director
Completion Web Studios